Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

This is the final post for 2011. This last week of the year, after the crazy, hectic holidays, and before the start of the new year I like to update all my new calendars, pay my bills, balance my checkbook, and find all my scattered ‘to do’ lists, to see if I can finish things up.

This year I had a ‘to do’ dating from 2003, that needed a bit more time to complete. That year I had attended the NY Ceramics Fair, where contemporary artists and antique dealers display their wares for collectors and designers. I somehow got some free tickets, and attended the show across the street from the Metropolitan Museum on 5th Avenue. That first year I went they had a display of antique ceramics from the Deerfield Museum, and I fell in love with a delftware punch bowl. So I did some research on punch bowls, and sketched out my version of a bowl with a fish, with the words ‘Keep Me Swimming', traditionally used inside a punch bowl to encourage replenishment. It was time to make it my own, for this year’s holiday.

Sorry, I forgot to photograph the making of the bowl, but it was 14 pounds of porcelain clay, with a thrown foot, to give it height. I planned on making 24 cups, with handles, with each having a number.

I mixed up some clay slip, using cobalt and a little red iron oxide to tone down the blue. So I threw 27 cups, with the same shape, sort of, but the sizes definitely vary. The cups were trimmed with a rounded bottom, and I added a thrown foot from a coil.











I had a limited amount of the chosen porcelain clay, so I ditched the idea of a handle on the cup, and I’m glad I did because they stack nicely!




So, I made it just in time, and I tried an eggnog recipe from Alton Brown. We had a bottle of Maker's Mark on the side, and voila! a new tradition.

Another new tradition this year was my decoration of a little sculpture that was a joint effort between my daughter, Cathy (a VERY talented painter) and myself...she did a small sculpture and I added some dark slip to bring out the 'lines' and put it into a dark clay shadow box. It is very much at home on my mantle, and a little  Grinch-Santa hat dressed it up for Christmas.

I want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year, and all the best for 2012.
This year's tree, the loveliest of all

1 comment: