Friday, February 15, 2013

COMING OUT OF THE CABINET

I've decided to come clean, literally. This is a difficult topic for anyone who calls themselves a potter but I have decided to do something about what’s behind my kitchen cabinet doors.  These are the dishes I live with every day.  They were purchased years ago (before I returned to my serious pursuit of clay) and apparently they haven’t fared as well as my marriage has.
DISHWASHER & MICROWAVE SAFE MY FOOT!


 So I have decided to do what any potter worth his/her salt would do – I am finally making myself a set of dishes. I thought about purchasing another set, most likely made in some outsourced factory, but then I realized nothing would be as durable as the dinnerware I make.  Being a functional potter makes me pretty fussy about my glazes. We potters think up all kinds of diabolical torture involving: freezing, heating, freezing, heating; soaking with lemon juice for days, etching with a key, more freezing and heating. All of this to insure our pots will serve their purpose and endure. If only every manufacturer of pottery did the same!
UGH!
Much thought has gone into this gift to myself. They are not typical of what I make and I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of not worrying about it. I do love matte glazes, but concern about durability has me thinking of glazing the inner surfaces with my clear Chun (thank you Leah Leitson) and my buttery Shimmer on the outside. Unless one of you potters out there has a torture proof clear Satin Matte for cone 7/8 porcelain!


I LOVE NAKED PORCELAIN!
LAGUNA'S MILLER #550


2 comments:

  1. Cynthia, as always, an ambitious project! Can't wait to see the finished set, preferably with a lovely meal displayed on it...

    ReplyDelete