Saturday, February 2, 2013

Noborigama Firing

The wood firing took place over the weekend January 25th to the 27th.

We prepared our pots with flashing slip and glaze all day Friday.






On Saturday we wadded our pieces, brought them outside in the freezing cold and placed them on tables and shelves according to where we wanted them to go in the kiln. There is a wood chamber that is nearest the main fire box and a salt chamber that is between the wood chamber and the chimney.



Everyone was busy at their work station, either delivering pots, loading pot calling for specific sizes or preparing kiln posts.










The door in the photo above is the wood chamber. Two of my cups are on the top shelf next to Barbara's big cat.  The door one photo above the wood chamber photo is the salt chamber.  I guess my pots are in there somewhere.  Bruce Dehnert estimated we could load about 200 to 250 pots.  I think we packed them in there pretty tightly.


I hope my cup isn't touching the cat.


A little fire breathing demo to breakup the night.  Potters are crazy.



After a long night of maintaining a temp of 1000 to 1600 degrees F the real stoking begins.




Our fearless leader, Bruce.





 After many hours of adding wood, the salt kiln was ready for some NaCl.
This is Christina adding salt on a long flat board. After a week of cooling,
we will be unloading tomorrow.  I can't wait to see everyone's pots!

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting, can't wait to see the results, will you post the photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see photos of some fired pieces. I love the wood fired lemon you gave me!

    Wood firing - So much work; So little sleep :)

    ReplyDelete